The Washington Humane Society (WHS) works to protect the animals of the District of Columbia from cruelty and harm.
The Washington Humane Society (WHS), the only Congressionally-chartered animal welfare agency in the United States, has been the area’s leading voice for animals since 1870. As the only open-access shelter in the Nation’s Capital, the Washington Humane Society provides comfort and care to nearly 30,000 animals each year through its broad range of programs and services including: sheltering for homeless animals; a comprehensive adoption program; low-cost spay and neuter services; an aggressive TNR (trap-neuter-return) program for feral cats (CatNiPP); investigations of each allegation of animal cruelty or neglect through Humane Law Enforcement; lost and found services; pet behavioral advice; volunteer and foster programs; and a Humane Education program for children.
Charted by Congress 140 years ago, WHS established the city’s first public housing facility for stray and unwanted animals. A year later, WHS pioneered the creation of the District’s first ever animal cruelty law. Throughout the years, the organization has helped spearhead new legislation to protect the animals who live in the nation’s capital. In the 1960s and 70s, WHS helped DC create laws to prevent animal hoarding, and better health standards for pet shops and medical research clinics. In 2001, after years of upholding and enforcing District animal cruelty laws, WHS was successful in its campaign to make animal cruelty a felony level crime.
WHS operates two shelter locations: a private shelter at 7319 Georgia Avenue, NW, and the District of Columbia Animal Care and Control Facility (under contract by the Department of Health) at 1201 New York Avenue, NE. In addition, WHS operates a low-cost, high-volume spay and neuter facility. The National Capital Area Spay & Neuter Center, located at 1001 L Street, NE, in the heart of Capitol Hill, serves the entire Metro area. WHS also operates an animal training facility, the Behavior and Learning Center, located at 7315 Georgia Avenue, NW. The organization’s administrative offices are located at 4590 Macarthur Boulevard, NW.
WHS has nearly 100 dedicated employees, 22 distinguished members of the Board of Directors and more than 300 active volunteers. To learn more, visit www.washhumane.org.